Friday, January 16, 2009

Strawberry Romaine Salad

Since Christmas, I have been meaning to post two side-dish recipes from our Christmas dinner. And, since I still haven't taken down all our decorations (I'm doing it after I'm done here...I swear...) I suppose it isn't too late to still think about Christmas. These are both recipes from my mother-in-law.

A slight warning on this first one: I had to go to 3 grocery stores on Christmas eve to find strawberries. Apparently they aren't real prevalent in December! But I do like having this for Christmas, for some reason, although it could just as easily be a nice, refreshing springtime salad. Note to self, though: don't wait until rush hour on Christmas eve to go grocery store hopping in an obsessed search for strawberries...

DRESSING

(Note: This is half what the original recipe called for, and it still makes more than you will need.)
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup sugar (yes, this is right...it will seem like a lot)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp paprika

Combine these ingredients in a jar, cover tightly, and shake vigorously. Can be made and stored for up to a week.

SALAD

1 large head Romaine lettuce
1 large head Boston lettuce
1 pint strawberries, cleaned and sliced
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup chopped nuts (calls for walnuts, I prefer pecans...I tried with the sliced seasoned almonds and didn't like it so much, it needs something a little more substantial)

Tear lettuce into bite size pieces. Combine everything and pour dressing over salad, toss gently.

No comments: