Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Orange Chocolate Iced Brownies

I’m posting this recipe at the request of several coworkers. (And I use the term “recipe” loosely since much of this comes from a box.) Yesterday was my birthday, and to ease the pain I brought into work some brownies based one of my most absolute favorite flavor combinations: orange & chocolate. I think this love developed when I lived in England when I was twelve. Terry’s Chocolate Oranges may not have been available in the U.S. back then, but I remember my parents always bringing one along as our lunch treat when we would go on weekend sightseeing excursions…yum…

Maybe someday I’ll start making brownies from scratch, but at this point in my life, the convenience and cost of a box can’t be beat. :)

BROWNIES

“Family-size” box dark chocolate brownie mix
1 teaspoon orange zest (about one orange worth)
1 teaspoon orange extract

1. Follow the instructions for “fudge-like” consistency, add the orange ingredients, and bake in a 9x13 pan.
2. Let the brownies cool a bit before adding the icing.

ICING

1¼ cups sugar
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons half & half
1 cup (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon orange extract

1. Combine sugar, butter, and milk in small saucepan.
2. Cook and stir until boiling.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat, stir in orange extract and chocolate chips until melted.
5. Pour over brownies immediately. Cool thoroughly before cutting
.

No comments: