Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Grandma D's Easy Mac and Cheese

Keeping with my comfort food theme, here's a simple, kid-approved side dish. My mom brought this to the Lake when she and my dad visited us there on vacation this past summer. Everyone knows that food tastes better: 1) when someone else cooks it and 2) when you're on vacation. So this recipe already had 2 things going for it...but I made it again at home, myself, and it was still good! I tried to make it a little healthier this time by using whole grain pasta, but I think some things are better just kept as good old fashioned comfort food. Back to plain old white pasta next time...

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
3 cups cooked macaroni, elbow or spirals
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

In saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Blend in soup and milk; add macaroni and cheese. Heat until cheese melts; stir occasionally. Makes about four cups.

No comments: