Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bourbon Pecan Smashed Sweet Potatoes

This is a Rachael Ray recipe that I found needed some modification, but with my changes, I really like it. I'm always looking for new sweet potato recipes, because they're oh so good, and good for you, too. And what could make something good even better but a little bit of bourbon?

3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons brown sugar

2 ounces bourbon
about 1/8 cup orange juice
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I've never been able to find fresh nutmeg, so I just use the kind in a spice jar. Someday I'll figure out where to look for it in the produce section, though...)

1/2 cup chopped pecans (a couple of handfuls)
Salt and pepper

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and cook 12 to 15 minutes until very tender. Drain sweet potatoes in a colander. Return pan to medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons of butter to the pan. Add sugar and let it bubble. Add bourbon and cook out alcohol, 1 minute. Add orange juice and the cooked sweet potatoes. Smash with a masher and season the sweet potatoes with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Toast the pecans for 2 minutes in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and put on top.

No comments: