Friday, November 14, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

The jury is still out on this one. I'm not even sure how much I LIKE pumpkin bread, actually. But I took a loaf of this into work today and it got devoured by the vultures in my office :) and I got some positive compliments...so I figured I would go ahead and post it. The original recipe is from the Washington Post. I modified just slightly. Also, the recipe says to make it in 8 by 4 inch bread pans, and mine are 9 by 5. I think this might be a problem because the top middle didn't get cooked enough but the sides were getting too dry. I tend to have this problem with banana bread, etc. so maybe I need to try different pans. Anyway, here it is...

2 1/2 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon (original called for 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and nutmeg, I only used one, but might up it a little bit if I make it again...)
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
2 eggs, beaten
6 to 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease three 8-by-4-inch aluminum foil loaf pans or two 12-compartment muffin pans (or use paper cupcake liners).
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, spices, salt and baking soda.
In a medium bowl, combine the oil, water, pumpkin puree and eggs.
Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and combine thoroughly, making sure no unblended dry ingredients linger at the bottom of the bowl. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Divide the batter equally among the pans; muffin cups should be two-thirds full. Bake the loaves for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or the top of the loaves are springy to the touch. (Muffins will take about 40 minutes.) Let cool completely before cutting and storing.

No comments: