Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Scallions

This one is a favorite. I make it almost every year, no matter who is hosting Thanksgiving. Even people who claim to hate brussels sprouts will enjoy it (just don't tell them what it is...I bet they won't even guess...) It's from epicurious.com, and is one of the few recipes that I don't modify, although I usually double it, at least (NOTE: this Thanksgiving, I quadrupled it. We had 12 adults and 4 children, and we probably ate about half of what I made). I usually have to make it ahead of time (since we are often travelling) and it reheats just fine in the microwave.

10-ounce container Brussels sprouts (about 26), trimmed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 scallions, sliced thin diagonally
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice, or to taste

Cut sprouts in half and slice thin lengthwise. In a heavy skillet melt butter over moderately high heat until foam subsides and sauté sprouts and scallions, stirring, until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. In a bowl toss vegetables with lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This BY FAR (!!!) is the best veggie recipe you will EVER come across using brussel sprouts. I always guarantee my friends that dont like brussel sprouts that they will LOVE LOVE this dish...and they do!!